March - Ricardo returns to La Paz from Congo (using "Mbili" and "Papi" as his pseudonyms).
July - Pombo (Cuban Capt. Harry Villegas Tamayo) and Tuma (Lieut. Carlos Cuello, Ché's bodyguard since 1959) arrive in Bolivia. Their pseudonyms are taken from Swahili, spoken in Congo, where they spent time together with Ché.
July - September - Under Ché's guidance, training takes place for a group of volunteers chosen by him to be his companions in Bolivia. In La Paz, Pombo has several interviews with Mario Monje, General Secretary of the PCB. Individuals engaged with the Peruvian National Liberation Army (ELN) join in the preparations.
September - Pacho (Cuban Capt. Alberto Fernández Montes de Oca) arrives in La Paz to carry out Ché's instructions: set out a zone of operations and select political liaisons. Regis Debray (French intellectual) arrives, his mission to explore zones of the high Beni and Chapare, as well as to make contact with Moisés Guevara, leader of a fraction of the Marxist-Leninist Communist Party (PC-ML).
September 28 - Interview between Pombo and Mario Monje in La Paz. Tensions raise by reason of Debray's presence, as well as the advancing preparations.
October - Confusing discussions between Pombo and Pacho, and the leaders of the PCB, while Roberto Peredo Leigue (Coco), Tuma and Ricardo outfit the farm in Ñancahuazú.
November 4 - Ché Guevara arrives in La Paz by way of Madrid and Sao Paulo, with an Uruguayan passport under the name of Adolfo Mena González.
"Ché, together with another man, entered Bolivia during the second week of September. He had left Havana on one of the regular flights of the Spanish airline, Iberia, stopping in Madrid and then continuing to Sao Paulo, Brazil. He had gone by bus to Corumbá, crossed over to Puerto Suárez, in Bolivian territory, and had immediately headed for the city of Cochabamba." p. 193
November 4, 1966, Ché arrives in Bolivia, by way of Madrid and Sao Paulo. With his head shaven, eyeglasses, suit and tie, he is virtually unrecognizable. His documents appear under the name of Adolfo Mena González, Uruguayan official of the O.A.S.
November 7 - Ché arrives in Ñancahuazú and starts writing his renowned journal.
November 7 - Today a new stage begins. We arrived at the farm at night. The trip went fairly well. After arriving in Cochabamba, suitably disguised, Pachungo and I made the contacts. We then made a two-day journey in two jeeps.
December - Mario Monje arrives in Cuba by way of Bulgaria, to hold discussions with Fidel Castro, and is notified by the latter about a possible interview with Ché.
"In early December,1966, Mario Monje, Secretary General of the Bolivian Communist Party, traveled to Havana to discuss the matter with Castro. The Cuban leader found himself in an awkward position. He could not ignore the pacts between the Latin American Communist Parties and Moscow, and at the same time he had to obtain support from the Bolivian Communists for his friend Guevara." p. 196
December 31 - Monje arrives in Ché's camp. Disagreements crop up over the military and political leadership of the movement.
"Monje returned with a clearer picture, and on New Year's Day, 1967, he asked to be taken to the camp at Ñancahuazú, where he had a long but not very friendly talk with Ché." p. 196
December 31 - Monje holds an interview with Guevara at the guerrilla base, and tells him that he will step down from the General Secretariat in order to join the guerrillas, provided that Guevara grant him the political and military leadership of the movement. Guevara refuses and Monje returns to La Paz.
December 31 - As to the second point, I told him I could not accept this under any circumstance. I would be the military leader and would accept no ambiguities on this score. Here the discussion bogged down and went around and around in a vicious circle.
Monje returns to Bolivia and holds an interview with Ché on New Year's Eve at the Ñancahuazú farm. That meeting marks the end of relations between the PCB and the guerrillas.